|Fine and unusual antique musical desk compendium signed in the bronze by Alphonse Giroux.
The compendium on a fine tulip wood, ormolu mounted base is in silvered and gilt bronze and takes the form of a farmhouse on a naturalistic base with wells and paddock and a horse-rider galloping by with a dog running at his heels.
The compendium with various inkwells and pen holders also has a seal which is the base of the horse and rider. When the seal is lifted out the musical movement automatically plays. When the seal is lifted out on the next occasion the musical movement automatically plays another tune. The various roofs of the farmhouse open up and are all hinged.
The very well cast compendium as well as being largely in gilt bronze ( ormolu) , it has areas picked out in silver too. These include vegetation on the farmhouse, birds on the roof and on the top of the well ( inkwell) , the dog and the millstream.
The Maison Alphonse Giroux was established in 1799 at 7, rue du Coq-Saint-Honoré, Paris. In 1838, the expanded business operated under the name of , frequently winning medals at the Exposition des produits de l'industrie française. In 1857, the business relocated to 43, boulevard des Capucines, where it remained until 1867, when it was taken over by Duvinage and Harinckouk.
Alphonse Giroux circa 1840.
8.5 inches high by 7.5 inches deep by 10 inches wide ( 21.25 cms by 18.75 cms by 25 cms).